- Cheese pastry
- 175g plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 75g butter, cut into small pieces
- 50g Parmesan freshly grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- a good knob of butter
- 1 large leek, weighing about
- 350g trimmed, washed and finely sliced
- 100g Stilton cheese, coarsely grated
- large handful of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 300ml single cream a little freshly
- grated nutmeg salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 12 black olives, stoned and halved
These lovely little tartlets from Mary Berry are full of sweet soft leeks and tangy stilton. Hand out these little treats at your Christmas party and let the compliments roll in!
For more appetisers and snacks click here
- First make the pastry. Measure the flour, salt, mustard and butter into the processor or a bowl, and process or rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the Parmesan and beaten egg and mix again as long as it takes for the ingredients to come together. Chill for 30 minutes wrapped in clingfilm.
- For the filling, heat the butter in a large non-stick pan and add the sliced leek. Cover and cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes to soften. Return to a high heat to drive off any excess liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/Fan 180oC/Gas 6.
- Roll the pastry out thinly on a lightly floured work surface and, using an 11cm (41⁄2 in) cutter, cut into eight discs. Use these to line two Yorkshire pudding trays. Chill if time allows.
- Bake the pastry blind in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, removing the paper and beans for the last 5 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180oC/Fan 160oC/Gas 4.
- Divide the cooled leek between the pastry-lined Yorkshire pudding tins, and top with grated cheese and chopped parsley. Beat the eggs and add the cream, nutmeg and some seasoning. Carefully pour the egg and cream mixture into the tartlets and top each one with a few halved olives if liked.
- Bake in the reduced-temperature oven for 15–20 minutes until the filling is set and beginning to colour.
From Mary Berry’s Christmas Collection by Mary Berry, Published by Headline
Available on Amazon