- For the Panzanella
- 2 shallots
- 4 tablespoons Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar, plus 60ml extra for the dressing
- 2 ripe peaches
- 100ml olive oil, plus extra for dressing
- 10 slices of Greek sesame bread, or ciabatta
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500g cherry vine tomatoes, halved
- a small bunch of basil, torn
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme
- a pinch of sugar
- 50ml Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
This is a wonderful fruity twist on a classic panzanella. The caramalization on the peaches gives a great sweetness and the charring on the bread gives texture whilst the absorbing all the delicious juices from the rest of the salad.
For more salad recipes click here
- Peel and halve the shallots and thinly slice. Place in a small bowl, add a pinch of sea salt and toss with the 4 tablespoonfuls of vinegar and leave to marinate while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Put a griddle pan on the stove to heat up. Meanwhile, cut the peaches into halves, then quarters. Drizzle the peaches with a little oil and place on the hot griddle until charred on either side – do this over a high heat as you want the peaches to take on a charred taste but still remain firm and juicy. Place on a plate in a single layer (if you pile them up they’ll steam and continue to cook) and leave to cool.
- Rub the bread with the garlic (do not discard the garlic), drizzle with olive oil and place on the hot griddle until charred on either side. Set aside to cool.
- Cut each peach quarter in half and place in a large bowl along with the tomatoes and basil. Tear the bread into pieces roughly the same size as the peaches and add to the bowl along with the marinated shallots and their juices.
- Finely chop the garlic and place in a separate bowl, add the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Pour over the salad and toss to coat. Season with sea salt and black pepper; allow the flavours to marinate for around 10 minutes before serving.
From Smashing Plates by Maria Elia, Published by Kyle Books
Available on Amazon