In The Know – travel notes from our favourite chefs.
TV chef Donal Skehan is back with a new book and TV series Homecooked, where he will be showing us how to make his favourite, simple home cooked food.
- What is your favourite city right now? Hanoi.
- Why do you love it? The sights, the sounds, the smells and of course the food!
- Where do you refuel in the morning? Breakfast has to be a hot soup of Beef Pho from a street food stall.
- Tell us a hidden gem? I discovered this wonderful little kitchen serving Bun Cha on the corner the main food market in Hanoi. All the food was cooked by a family in the smallest kitchen you can imagine, served with beer from their own taps!
- Where is the best market? We loved the markets in the mountains of Sapa, in the North of Vietnam.
- Top street-food eat? Bun Cha, a combination of broth served with charred fatty pork skewers, white rice noodles, and piles of herbs. All in all a total feast of Vietnamese flavours.
- Best place for a sunset drink? On streets with a cold beer and the classic vietnamese accompaniment dried salted squid, which is charred over little fires and then bashed until flat. It is then shredded and served in newspaper with a spicy chilli sauce.
- What restaurant do you book every time? I didn’t, the streetfood was far too good.
- Best spot for something sweet? The sweet food in Vietnam is slightly odd, lots of coconut and tapioca balls that have such a strange consistency.
- What gadget won’t you leave home without? My camera, a canon 5D, I couldn’t travel without it.
Want more? Sign up