In The Know – travel notes from our favourite chefs.
Eric Lanlard is a master pâtissier and one of the most exciting pastry chefs in the UK. He is the owner of the stunning Cake Boy cafe and author several books. His latest Chocolat is a stunning collection of chocolate recipes including a mouthwatering salted butter caramel cake.
- What is your favourite city right now? Cape Town.
- Why do you love it? It is a very dynamic city which keeps on getting better and better.
- Where do you refuel in the morning? Rhodes Memorial Café. It has amazing views over the city. The smoked salmon eggs with sour dough bread wedges make the perfect breakfast before a hike.
- Tell us a hidden gem? The Grand Daddy Hotel Roof terrace, which is a vintage airstream caravan on the roof.
- Where is the best market? Blue Bird Garage Food & Goods Market (Muizenberg).
- Top street-food eat? For true Cape Malay food try a salome – a curry wrapped in roti bread.
- Best place for a sunset drink? Café Caprice, situated on Camp Bay, for a bottle of Simonsig “Cuvee Royale.”
- What restaurant do you book every time? The Test Kitchen by Luke Del Robert.
- Best spot for something sweet? Cassis Patisserie.
- What gadget won’t you leave home without? My wireless micro speakers for my I-Phone.
Want more? Sign up